Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Finance & Administration

VolNurse News Page

Payable is the area in which bills are processed and paid for items purchased, received, services rendered, etc. These payments include: Invoices, Petty Cash Reimbursement and Procurement Cards. Please visit the links for more information about each form of payment.

Before any purchase can be procured, a CON Order Request Form must be completed and fully approved. Procurement Process Flow Diagram

If you have any questions about Accounts Payable, please contact:

Finance & Administration Office

Office of Research Services

Accounts Payable
See tabs below for additional information on each of the following.

  • Invoices
  • Petty Cash
  • Procurement Cards
  • Forms

There are certain guidelines to follow when processing invoices for payment.  Please see below for guidance.

Prior to Purchase

  1. Complete and submit CON Order Request Form (ORF).

Appropriate Invoices

The university will pay for materials or services upon receipt of all goods and services and receipt of an original, itemized invoice. An appropriate invoice has the following characteristics.

  1. An original invoice is required for all purchases of materials and services. If an original invoice cannot be obtained, a photocopy, facsimile, or certified copy can be used for payment provided an explanation is written on the invoice or an attached memo.
  2. Invoices must be itemized to identify the quantity and price for all items purchased.
  3. All invoices must be billed to the University of Tennessee.
  4. Invoices written in pencil will not be accepted by the university.

Preparing Invoices for Approval and Payment

  1. Upon receipt of the invoice, the date received (month, day, year) should be written or stamped on the invoice.
  2. Confirm receipt of all items purchased. If there was a purchase order, the number must appear on the invoice. If not preprinted on the invoice, the department may write the purchase order number on the invoice.
  3. Confirm calculation of the invoice is correct. If not, contact the vendor for a revised invoice. If receive verbal authorization to correct/revise the invoice, write the name of person from the vendor approving the correction on the invoice.
  4. UT is tax exempt. Therefore, sales tax should be deducted from the invoice.  A Tennessee sales tax exemption form can be found on the Treasurer’s Office website.
  5. Submit invoice with a copy of the ORF to the appropriate CON F&A or ORS staff member.
  6. Payment is dispersed based on the vendor payment method chosen by the vendor at the time the vendor is established in IRIS. The payment range is from immediate (meaning the next payment run) or up to 40 days.

University of Tennessee Knoxville faculty and staff are permitted to purchase staff parking lot permits.

Unreserved Staff Area: Rates are based on base salary level

Annually: see below
Monthly: see below

Tier 1: $29,999 and under annual compensation will pay $20 per month X 12 = $240.00
Tier 2: $30,000 to $59,999 will pay $30 per month x 12 = $360.00
Tier 3: $60,000 to $149,999 will pay $35 per month x 12 = $420.00
Tier 4: $150,000 and over annual compensation will pay $50 per month x 12 = $600.00

Gated Restricted Access
Annually: $678
Monthly: $56.50

Reserved Staff Area
Annually: $1,476
Monthly: $123


The College of Nursing has a limited number of Orange Dot permits available for check out. The Orange Dot is used in conjunction with your regular assigned parking tag to enable faculty and staff to park in any staff lot on campus. Orange Dot permits are available for check out from Mary Miles. Standard check out periods are not to exceed 24 hours.


The College of Nursing has a limited number of Visitor Parking passes. These passes are for guests only, not for use by faculty, staff or students. College of Nursing building passes are obtained from Mary Miles and Temple Hall passes are obtained from Susan Fancher.


The College of Nursing has a limited number of parking passes for the Vol Hall garage located on White Ave. These passes are for guests only, not for use by faculty, staff or students. Vol Hall passes are obtained from Mary Miles


If you have additional parking requests, please submit an Order Request Form and individual instructions/guidance will be provided based on the nature of the request.

Petty Cash funds are used to provide reimbursement to faculty, staff, students, etc. for purchases made with personal funds for university departments.

Types of Purchases

Petty cash funds should be used for emergency and miscellaneous purchases of supplies and materials from sources outside the university. These funds should not be used for purchases from central supply stores, university bookstores, or any other university department. Purchases from sources within the university are charged to departments by internal transfer.

Amount of Purchases

Please contact the CON F&A or ORS office regarding expense limits.

Prior to Purchase

  1. Complete and submit CON Order Request Form (ORF).

Reimbursement Procedures and Required Receipts

The Petty Cash Reimbursement Request Form (T-44) must be used to request reimbursement for petty cash expenditures. When completing this form, please include proper justification of purchase. No items considered personal will be reimbursed. Each request should be accompanied by itemized receipts. Please note sales tax can be added to the receipt by the vendors. This tax can be included when requesting reimbursement for expenditures.

One of the following types of receipts is required to support petty cash purchases. In order of preference, these receipts are (1) vendor’s invoice, (2) detailed cash register or other vendor receipt.

Other Important Information

All goods/items purchased must be shipped to a University address. All receipts must have proof of payment reference somewhere on the receipt(s).


If you receive a request from the Office of Audit and Compliance for information regarding a charge to your procurement card, please contact Cindy or Diane.

We will be glad to pull invoices or receipts and work with you to provide other requested information. We will also file a copy of the response with your card file for an audit trail.

Dates to Remember

1st or 2nd Day of each month – Statements Printed
10th of every month – DUE in CON F&A OR ORS
25th of every month – Charges distributed and Approved

Procurement Cards are used to provide a more efficient, cost-effective alternative for departments to make purchases costing less than $10,000. The use of the procurement card will help the university, vendors, and departments by saving time and money with the consolidation of paperwork, quick payment to vendors and department will receive goods and services without delays. The use of the procurement card should be used in a business-like manner and purchases made within card spending limits and comply with policy and procedures.

All purchases made with the procurement card are tax exempt unless out-of-state, i.e. expo’s, and cannot be used for personal use. Cardholder(s) will be held responsible for any purchases made outside the normal university policies.

Limitations on the Use of the Procurement Card

  1. Unauthorized purchases. Purchases are to be made for business use only.  The following purchases are prohibited:
    • Personal use
    • Purchase of any type of equipment over $1,500 (including shipping) that would be considered sensitive minor equipment (G/L account 439400)
    • Transactions of $10,000 or more from the same vendor, including multiple like or unlike purchases unless the items being purchased are from an existing framework order or term contract (for details see 3 below)
    • Cash advances
    • Cash refunds from returned card purchases
    • Gift cards
    • Personal service contracts or those contracts that are processed through the Contract system
    • Entertainment purchases costing more than $1,000 per function. The card may be used for entertainment items exceeding $1,000 but less than $10,000 if pre-approval has been obtained from the chief business officer. Note: Entertainment-type items $1,000 or under per function may be purchased with the procurement card, subject to the approval and documentation requirements for entertainment purchases. Such purchases may be made only from vendors that accept the card (i.e., the card is blocked at restaurants, hotels, and other travel-related vendors). The invoice must contain the date of the function, number of individuals being entertained, price per unit (meal, ticket), and total amount due. The purpose of the function must be written on the invoice or an attachment. The cost center/WBS element and the general ledger account to be charged (446200, 449200, or 449300) should also be documented on the invoice.
    • Travel, including airlines, hotels, registration fees, automobile expenses, and meals (registration fees for webinars at local station may be paid with P-card)
    • Cellular telephone equipment and service
    • Purchasing club membership such as Amazon Prime and Barnes and Noble where the membership is in the name of the employee unless approved in writing by the chief business officer or designee. The savings to the university for such a Membership should be documented in the request.
    • Purchases from other university departments, including bookstores
    • Purchases prohibited by university fiscal policy on purchasing
  2. Spending Limits. Purchases are charged to the cardholder’s department. Each card has specific spending limits: $9,999.99 per transaction and a preset maximum for each 30-day billing cycle, typically $20,000. Each time the card is used, an electronic process verifies that the purchase is within these predetermined limits. If a purchase violates these limits, the vendor will not accept the order.
  3. Departments may not split single transactions in excess of $9,999.99 into smaller transactions. (See FISCAL POLICY FI0410, 1.) To stay within the spending limit, departments may not make multiple purchases of or request multiple invoices for single purchases of identical goods or modular components from the same vendor, unless these items are under an existing framework order or term contract. Although not an all-inclusive list, the following situations represent split transactions and are prohibited by this policy.
    • Requesting a vendor to invoice items separately to avoid the spending limit.
    • Making partial payments against a single invoice to avoid the spending limit.
    • Purchasing items in groups and making multiple purchases for a single purpose to avoid the spending limit.
    • Purchasing like items on a regular basis which would exceed the spending limit if purchased together, unless purchased on a current contract.
    • Procurement cardholders in the same department should attempt to communicate purchases of items that will be procured on a regular basis to their department heads and departments should attempt to monitor orders placed to the same vendor on different cards to determine if these purchases should be bid.

Cardholder Responsibilities

  1. Complete the Procurement Card Application form.
  2. Read and abide by these policies and procedures and complete the PROCUREMENT CARD QUESTIONNAIRE.
  3. Obtain best possible value for the university.
  4. Secure card and keep card number confidential.
  5. If at all possible, don’t share account information.
  6. Ensure state sales tax is not charged when making a purchase. The university’s tax exempt number is printed on the face of the card.
  7. Must maintain and keep a valid receipt for each purchase with as much detailed information about the purchase.
  8. Upon receipt of the monthly statement, review the statement for accuracy, attach valid receipts, distribute charges to appropriate cost center/WBS elements with correct G/L accounts, sign the statement, and forward to FIO for processing by the 10th of every month.
  9. Resolve all incorrect charges and product returns with the merchant/vendor in a timely manner.

Making a Purchase

    1. Complete and submit the CON Order Request Form (ORF).
    2. If the intended purchase is less than $10,000, find a vendor who accepts VISA and provides the best value to the university.
    3. Ensure vendor can provide a proper receipt.
    4. Obtain a receipt for each purchase.
    5. Make sure the receipt doesn’t obtain sales tax.
    6. When ordering over the telephone or internet, vendor should be told the purchase is for the University of Tennessee and you will be using a VISA Procurement card. The vendor should be given the card name, number, expiration date, and delivery address. A receipt and confirmation number should be obtain at this time. Emphasize with the vendor the purchase is exempt from state sales tax.
    7. Verify order to ensure accuracy, quality, and price.

Returning a Purchase, Incorrect Charges, and Declined Charges

    1. Cash refunds are prohibited. For a purchase made in person, return item to vendor and obtain a credit receipt.
    2. For returns by phone, mail or fax, the vendor should be contacted for return instructions, obtain a return authorization number or credit number and then return the item.
    3. On the original receipt, note the date of the return and check future statements to ensure credit was applied.
    4. If an item on the monthly statement is incorrect, contact the vendor immediately and resolve the disputed charge. If not resolved within 30 days, fax a completed Disputed Transaction Form to Bank of America bank at 1-888-449-2273. The bank will issue a credit for the disputed purchase until it is resolved within a timely manner. Vendors should be given a reasonable amount of time to resolve the issue, replace the product, or issue a credit.
    5. If a purchase is not approved by VISA, the vendor can call the bank directly to determine the reason, or the cardholder may call the bank at 1-888-449-2273.

Acceptable Receipts

Acceptable receipts include the following:

  • Vendor invoices
  • Charge slips
  • Cash register receipts
  • Packing slips
  • Printout of E-mail or web page transaction confirmation

They must all include the following information:

  • Itemized description of goods or services purchased; including unit price
  • Vendor name
  • Transaction date
  • Transaction total showing Paid by Visa


  • Order forms are usually not an acceptable receipt.
  • Subscription renewal forms or initial request is considered a receipt. The receipts should include the inclusive dates of the subscription.
  • Receipts that are not originals or do not obtain any of the information above are not considered valid receipts. Therefore, a Supplemental Receipt should be completed and attached to the receipt.
  • A Supplement Receipt alone is not considered an adequate receipt. It must be replaced within 60 days with an adequate receipt.

Distributing Charges

Monthly statements are available in IRIS on the first or second business day of the month. Departments responsible for distributing charges in IRIS should print the statement and verify accurate charges. Valid receipts should be attached, statement signed, and charges distributed to appropriate cost center/WBS Element and G/L accounts in IRIS. Upon completion, statements should be forwarded to CON F&A OR ORS by the 10th of every month for verification and filing.

All paperwork for Contract or Purchase Orders for the College of Nursing is processed through the CON F&A or ORS office.

All bi-weekly timesheets are due in by 10:00 a.m. on Monday following the last pay period. (Example: If a pay period ends Sunday, 05/06/2012 – Timesheets for this period are due in the CON F&A or ORS office by 10:00 a.m. on Monday, 5/7/2012)

Name (given name, not nickname), Personnel Number, Cost Center and hourly wage are required and should be completed on the timesheet.

Monthly timesheets are due in the CON F&A or ORS office before the 15th of every month.

Travel is currently restricted.
Please contact Cindy Satterfield or Lindsay Burke-Melton if you have any questions.

This page will assist in the understanding of the policies, procedures and processing of travel expenses for the College of Nursing. All reimbursements and/or payments involving travel will be processed. These include direct bill of airfare, pre-payment of conference and seminar registration fees, travel advances, and travel reimbursements. Please visit the pages listed for more information on each area.

Travel Request/Reimbursement Process

  1. Departmental T-18 (Travel Request Form) must be completed and submitted to the CON Finance and Administration Office (F&A) with supporting documentation (ex: conference agenda, conference lodging information, etc.).
    1. Cindy Satterfield: CON F&A
  2. Contact appropriate staff support (Cindy) regarding travel booking. If you would like to book your own travel, please be aware that UT policies are strict and failure to follow policy may result in your reimbursement being denied.
  3. If you are traveling internationally, there are several additional steps that must be completed. It is imperative that the F&A office is contacted ASAP (preferably 3 months in advance). Please visit the CIE – International Travel Site for additional information.
  4. Upon return from travel, please complete a T-3 form and submit the T-3 along with any receipts (if receipts are smaller than 8×11, please tape them to a piece of paper, being careful not to cover any printing with tape (tape removes thermal printing)) to the F&A staff person (Cindy).
  5. Complete Electronic Certification of Travel Expense Report (this replaces email approval of expenses and/or physical signatures).

Procedures by expense type:

Dean’s Travel Award Policy 2019-2021