Student Spotlight, Sophia Vlattas

Sophia Vlattas, a senior at the University of Tennessee, reflects on her time at the College of Nursing and recalls all the meaningful experiences that have impacted her nursing journey.

Vlattas, a Northern Virginia native, was inspired to become a nurse because of her passion for helping people. That passion led her to UT, and she quickly got involved on campus and in the college through SNA and the Precious Prints Project.

“The nurses I have had the opportunity to work with, and the patients I have gotten to care for have inspired me,” said Vlattas. “Especially the recipients of Precious Prints. Being able to hear their stories allows me to see the impact my work has on others.”

Vlattas spent her senior year serving on the executive team for the Precious Prints Project. The Precious Prints Project comforts grieving families with a sterling silver pendant bearing the fingerprint of their child. The project was developed at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, College of Nursing in partnership with Precious Metal Prints, a local business. 

Vlattas played a pivotal role in the annual Sprint for the Prints that raises money for the Precious Prints Project. In 2023, the Sprint raised over $11,000 to support the Precious Prints Project.

“The team and I put so much effort into the event,” said Vlattas. “It was so heartwarming to see all of our hard work and dedication making an impact.”

Her dedication to serving others shines brightly through her work with SNA as well. Vlattas was given an opportunity to attend the National Student Nurses Association Conference in Nashville during her junior year.

“It was a great opportunity to meet with fellow nursing students and faculty from other schools, including the University of Nevada Las Vegas who we partner with for the Precious Prints Project,” said Vlattas. “I was honored to represent the college by presenting a poster regarding the Precious Prints Project.”

The experiences Vlattas has had during her time at UT have further solidified her commitment to nursing and have provided her with invaluable insights into her future career in the mother baby specialty.

“I want to be a mother baby nurse because it is such a heartwarming experience to be able to help guide and support them through this pivotal moment in their lives,” said Vlattas. “I have been able to have a mother baby clinical rotation at local medical centers. Precious Prints also allowed me to work with this patient population and develop connections with the mother baby specialty.”

She credits the support of her teachers, classmates, and family as the most influential elements of her nursing education, shaping her into the compassionate and dedicated nurse she aspires to be.

_____

CONTACT:

Kara Clark (865-974-9498, kmclark2@utk.edu)