Travis Rhoten, Faculty Appreciation Week

With over a decade of nursing experience, Travis Rhoten’s journey began with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the University of Tennessee (UT) in 2013, followed by his Master of Science in Nursing in 2018.

Rhoten spent five years at UT Medical Center, where he worked in the Oncology, Urology, and Hematology department. During this time, Rhoten became a companion on the poignant journeys of cancer patients, witnessing both their struggles and triumphs, each moment.

“I was grateful and felt fortunate to have been a part of the journey of the cancer patients I cared for,” said Rhoten. “I was part of both the hardships and the celebrations, and each taught me valuable lessons for both my nursing career and in my personal life.”

In the fall of 2018, Rhoten was chosen to be a graduate teaching assistant for clinicals with undergraduate nursing students.

“I had always enjoyed teaching new nurses at the hospital,” said Rhoten. “Teaching students in clinicals was an extremely rewarding experience and shifted the course of my career path.”

Rhoten joined the College of Nursing in 2019 as a full-time faculty member.

“The college truly strives to lead as an innovative institution and is willing to take risk and implement new strategies, simulations, and teaching methods to stay on the cutting edge of education,” said Rhoten. “Our faculty are highly gifted and intelligent individuals who are passionate about education and have a strong desire to foster the field of nursing.”

When asked how students have made an impact on his career Rhoten replied, “It is heartwarming seeing previous students that have gone through our program striving.  I round on students for the N495 senior course where they have preceptors, and some of the preceptors are students that I have had three to four years ago. They have embodied the essence of nursing and help foster that passion in our current students.”

Rhoten is proud to call himself a faculty member in a place that values involvement, leadership, and growth.

“The college truly helps foster the development of the aforementioned traits of empathy, resilience, and critical thinking for our students,” he said.

As Rhoten continues his journey as a faculty member, he is continuing to promote those same traits among his students.

CONTACT:

Kara Clark (865-974 9498, kmclark2@utk.edu)