Sadie Hutson, PhD, RN, WHNP, BC
- Teaching in undergraduate and graduate programs
- Research and publication
- University, college, professional, and community service
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, WI: BSN (1998)
- University of Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, PA- MSN- Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner (2000)
- University of Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, PA- PhD in Nursing (2004)
- Care of Women and Childbearing Families (OB/GYN); Women's Health; Research methods
- Psychosocial Oncology- Cancer Disparities among Rural/Underserved Populations, Psychosocial Consequences
of living at inherited risk of cancer, Women’s Health/Sexually Transmitted Infections
CLINICAL (PRACTICE) INTERESTS
- OB/GYN & Clinical Cancer Genetics
- Editorial Board, American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Member, Institutional Review Board, Oak Ridge National Lab
- Oncology Nursing Society
- National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Xi Chapter
- Member, Tennessee Comprehensive Cancer Coalition
- Affiliate Member, National Society of Genetic Counselors
- Nominee, Oncology Nursing Society New Investigator Award, 10th National Conference on Cancer Nursing Research
- ETSU College of Nursing, Nurse of the Year (2006-2007)-Research
- Madison Who's Who (2006)
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Xi Chapter Graduation Award for Outstanding Doctoral Student (May 2004)
- Improving Accessibility of Doctoral Education in Nursing. (Submitted to HRSA 10-065. Funded, $890,000.)
August 1, 2010-July 31, 2013
- Practices of Primary Care Providers in Southern Appalachia towards Cancer Genetics Services: A Pilot Study.
Funded by ETSU Research Development Committee, Major Grant Mechanism.
- Improved Detection of Ovarian Malignancies: A Pilot Study Exploring the Use of 3D Vascular Ultrasound. Funded by ETSU Research
Development Committee Interdisciplinary Grant Mechanism. Funding Period February 28, 2009-June 30, 2009. $50,000. Role: Co-PI
- National Institutes of Health, Federal Loan Repayment Program in Health Disparities Research. Funded by National Center on
Minority Health and Health Disparities. Awards 50% protected research time. Funding Period: July 1, 2008-June 30, 2010.
Renewed-$35,000/ 2-year cycle. Role: Principal Investigator
- National Institutes of Health, Federal Loan Repayment Program in Health Disparities Research. Funded by National Center on Minority
Health and Health Disparities. Awards 50% protected research time. Funding Period: July 1, 2006-June 30, 2008. Renewal application
approved and pending funding award for July 1, 2008-June 30, 2010. $35,000/ 2-year cycle. Role: Principal Investigator
- Duvall, K. L., Dorgan, K.A., & Hutson, S.P. (2012). Personal Identity Changes of Female Cancer Survivors in Southern Appalachia. 2012 Business Research Yearbook, XIX(1), pp.287-293.
- Hutson, S.P.; Dorgan, K.A., Duvall, K.L. & Garrett, L.H. (2011). Human Papillomavirus Infection, Vaccination and Cervical Cancer Communication: The Protection
Dilemma Faced by Women in Southern Appalachia. Women & Health, 51(8), 795-810.
- Dorgan, K.A.; Hutson, S.P.; Gerding, G.; Duvall, K. L. (2009). Culturally Tailored Cancer Communication, Education and
Research: The Highways and Back Roads of Appalachia. Preventing Chronic Disease, 6(2), 1-5.
- Behringer, B; Mabe, K.H.; Dorgan, K.A; & Hutson, S.P. (2009). Promoting Local Implementation through Community Cancer Research
Review Work Groups in Rural Appalachia. Preventing Chronic Disease, 6(1), 1-5.
- Bakos, A.D.; Hutson, S.P.; Loud, J.T.; Peters. J.A.; Guisti, R.A.; & Greene, M.H. (2008). BRCA Mutation-Negative Women From Hereditary
Breast and Ovarian Cancer Families: A Qualitative Study of the BRCA-Negative Experience. Health Expectations, 1(3), 220-231.
- *Hutson, S.P.; Dorgan, K.A. (2007). The Mountains Hold Things In: The Use of Community Research Review Workgroups to Address Cancer Disparities in Appalachia. Oncology Nursing Forum. 34(6), 1133-1139.
- Dorgan, K.A.; Hutson, S.P.; Phillips, A. (2007) [In]credible Agents: Cancer Communication Partners in Appalachia. International Association of Business Disciplines. Volume XIV, 597-602.
- *Behringer, B.; Friedell, G.; Dorgan, K.; Hutson, S.P.; Naney, C.; Phillips, A.; Krishnan, K.;& Cantrell, E.S. (2007) Understanding the
Challenges of Reducing Cancer in Appalachia: Addressing a Place-Based Health Disparity Population. California Journal of Health Promotion.
5, 40-49 SI.
- *Hutson, S.P. & Alter, B.P. (2006). The Experiences of Siblings of Patients with Fanconi’s Anemia. Pediatric Blood and Cancer,
Sadie Hutson,PhD, RN,WHNP,BC
The University of Tennessee College of Nursing
1200 Volunteer Blvd., Room 161
Knoxville, TN - 37996